Another week, another My Recencies post! Every week, I update what I’ve been doing, listening to, watching, reading, etc.; this is what I call “My Recencies”! Here is what I did this week!
I got a freelance project working on a menu. I’m excited for this opportunity! I was working on this on and off all week so it’s a little sparse.
- Saturday – Taylor’s friend John is in an adaptation of A Midsummer Night’s Dream and we went to go see it! I also brought along one of my friends, Scott, because I hadn’t seen him in a while. It was nice catching up with him! It has been a while since I’ve read Midsummer, so the only thing I remembered about the story is that it’s an old school romcom. There was lots of singing and dancing, and this adaptation was set in a school! It was super fun!
- Tuesday – Episode 30 of WTW Podcast was posted! It’s a mailbag episode, so Sowmya and I answer questions from our friends.
- Comedy Death Ray/Comedy Bang Bang – This week, I listened to #59 with Paul F. Tompkins, Todd Glass, and Andy Daly; Andy Daly played a hilarious German tourist and I just love Paul F. Tompkins in everything. I also listened to #60 with Donald Glover, Jessica St. Clair, and Brendan Walsh; Jessica St. Clair played an intern that hit on everyone in the room and it got pretty explicit and it was hilarious.
- The Champ Podcast – New podcast for me! In this podcast, Neal Brennan and Moshe Kasher talk to a different black celebrity each episode. I decided to give this a try because I love Moshe Kasher a lot! It is really funny so far, and I’ve only listened to the first two episodes.
- Criminal – This week, I listened to an episode called “Pearl Bryan,” which was a great story about a woman who got an illegal abortion and was killed because something went wrong. That’s not new (unfortunately), but what made her a story is that she has a folk song about her story. There was a really great modern version of the song at the end!
- The Dollop – This week, I listened to “George Spencer,” which was about two men and their alleged relationships with animals in the early Victorian era (I think it was Victorian?), and “Comet Panic,” which was a great collection of stories about different eras of people freaking out about Halley’s Comet.
- The Fogelnest Files – This week I listened to the episode with Liz Lee, who I just learned is an MTV star. I thought she sounded pretty cool! Also I looked her up because I didn’t know who she was, and she has amazing and beautiful (but fake) red hair.
- Hound Tall – New podcast for me! Similar to Professor Blastoff and Today We Learned, this podcast is a combination knowledge and comedy podcast! Comedian Moshe Kasher hosts a panel, that includes an expert from the field they’re about to discuss and two other comedians (Moshe is in the panel too), in front of a live audience at the UCB in LA (at least the ones I’ve heard have been in LA). It is really funny!
- The Indoor Kids – This week I listened to “The Comic-Con Episode” during which Emily and Kumail documented their trip at Comic Con (in 2012 or 2013 I think).
- Professor Blastoff – This week I listened to #5 about sleep and #6 about DNA. Both were really interesting, and I particularly enjoyed “Sleep” because they discussed dreams and working while drowsy and groggy.
- Risk! – this week I listened to “Messssy” and “Live from Brown/RISD” which were both really good. I particularly enjoyed “Live from Brown/RISD” because these were just students and they had such great story-telling abilities. I really liked the first girl’s story about helping her uncle’s dog give birth!
- Sklarbro Country – This week I listened to #5 with Nick Thune and #6 with John Dore and Chris Cox. Chris Cox played Tiger Woods during a sketch about his affairs (this was an oooooold episode), and it was a really funny. Give it a listen!
- Spontaneanation – This week I listened to “Dracula’s Bedroom”, and I like where they headed with it. Too funny!
- Superego – This week I listened to episodes 3:3 and 3:4. Patton Oswalt guested on a couple of these improv sketches, and they were really funny!
- The Thrilling Adventure Hour – This week I listened to a Cactoid Jim episode called “Good Jim,” two Beyond Belief episodes called “Making Spirits Fight” and “The Devil You Know”, as well as a Behind The Scenes episode with Acker and Blacker. I liked learning about the background of Acker and Blacker, and I really liked Cactoid Jim’s episode (even though I’m not the biggest Cactoid Jim fan).
- Today We Learned – This week I listened to “Jay Duplass,” and I learned that OJ Simpson almost played the role of the Terminator!
- Welcome To Nightvale – This week I listened to “PYRAMID” and “Feral Dogs.” I really liked “PYRAMID” because I always love it when things just appear randomly in Nightvale and they don’t know what to do. This time they tried shooting at it!
- Who Charted – This week I listened to episodes “Jason Nash” and “Chris Fairbanks”. What I really love is hearing the top 5 music and movies from that week even though it’s old. It’s kinda nostalgic! Sometimes I’ll even discover what was popular; in one of the episodes, they did a top 5 hip-hop songs, and I hadn’t even heard of the number one song. Weird!
- You Made It Weird – This week I listened to Sara Schafer’s episode, and it was really sweet when she was talking about her mom and I was totally not crying at work, nope.
- @midnight – This week I really enjoyed Tuesday’s episode with Julie Klausner, Bobcat Goldthwait, and Jonah Ray! I love any time they have Jonah or Matt on, or when they have Thug Life or Hug Life, and this episode has both!
- Blue Bloods -I’m finally on new episodes I didn’t catch while it was airing. I’m on Season 4 now, and I like Danny’s new partner! She’s got gorgeous eyes!
- Domics – I started watching these cute videos because of a video on Reddit, and I quickly fell in love with his comic style but also his storytelling. He kind of reminded me of my brother, and he really inspired me to do what I love because he’s doing what he loves and is making money from it!
My carb game was too strong this week.
- Cafe 152 Burger – We went here before the play on Saturday, and it was pretty good! Taylor got these loaded fries, I got a giant burger, and Scott got sweet potato fries. All was good!
- High Five Pizza – My friend Abbey works here, and my friend Julie and I went to go visit her! I was especially happy because the last time I saw her was at her wedding, so it was awesome to catch up! And it’s always nice seeing Julie :-*
- Kotetsu Ramen – This ramen place is so delicious! You need to try their appetizers, they are so tasty! Taylor and I have eaten a bunch of fried things (on different occasions!) and they have all somehow been super juicy and the crust was perfectly crunchy and everything was just perfection.
- Mod Pizza – This just opened near our neighborhood, so we went to check it out! It’s quick, personalized thin crust pizzas that are made-to-order. Kinda like a Chipotle for pizzas!
I’m still using all the apps I was using in my original post so I won’t repeat myself.
- I just launched my Facebook page! Please like my page! I will be adding it to the sidebar soon, and there’s a lot I still have to do, but I was working on the logo and the banner for a while and I finally just gave up because I’m always gonna be wanting to tweak it, so I should just keep it as it is.
- Taylor and I are playing Batman: Arkham Knight. I say “we’re” playing it, but he’s playing it and I’m watching and giving suggestions. I have a long history of starting games and never finishing them, and I usually suck at things like fighting or puzzles, so it’s pretty great having someone who does those things for me. I just wanna see the story! It’s really fun so far!
- I am planning on going to Disneyland in September! (Maybe twice!) Taylor and I are going for the Halloween decorations, and they start on September 11th this year. You guys should check it out if you can! One of my coworkers told me you can dress up (there are restrictions) and trick-or-treat too!
- You can catch my start on hand-lettering in the blog post here! Unfortunately, I didn’t get to do any this week because I was so busy.
- You can also read about my love for animals here; two posts in one day!
That’s everything for this week, guys! Hope you enjoyed your week, and liked a glimpse at mine!